At a luncheon on December 13, 1926 in the home of Mrs. Fredrick A. Lendrum, eight DAR members-at-large and six new members met to organize a new DAR chapter in Plymouth, Michigan. Mrs. Lendrum, who had been the Organizing Regent, was asked to become the first
regent and served until 1928.
At a meeting in February of 1927, the members decided to invite the women of Northville who were eligible for membership to join the chapter. When the charter was granted on March 8, 1928, there were twenty-four members.
The newly organized chapter was named for Sarah Ann Cochrane who was a daughter of a pioneering Michigan family and a direct descendent of five Revolutionary soldiers. In 1843, Sarah, with her family, came to Northville when her father, the Reverend Sylvester Cochrane, was asked to become the minister of a new Presbyterian Church in the Village. Two years later, her father founded the Northville Academy. Sarah and her brother, Lyman, who became a judge in Detroit, helped their father teach in the school. After the deaths of her parents and her brother, she became associated with the Detroit Public Library. It was under her supervision that the Dewey Decimal System was started in the library. She and her family are buried in Northville. It is interesting to note that the Cochrane family owned the first kerosene lamp in Northville and that it is now in the safe keeping of the Northville Historical Society. They also have a pair of her glasses and case. The Chapter has her bible.